27 Apr Jun Kombucha Recipe
Jun Kombucha Recipe
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons green tea/ 2 green tea bags
- ½ cup local honey
- 1 Jun SCOBY
- ½ cup Jun tea from a previous batch
- flip-top bottles
- ½ gallon jar
Preparing the green tea and honey.
- Bring water to 170 F in a kettle. While the water comes to temperature, sprinkle the loose leaf green tea or tea bags into a large jar or pitcher. Pour the hot water over the tea, and then let it steep at least 3 and up to 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea through a fine-mesh sieve into your jar, and then let it cool to room temperature
Brewing Jun tea.
- Once the tea is cooled to room temperature and mixed with honey, add your SCOBY and ½ cup Jun tea starter liquid. Cover the jar with cheesecloth or butter muslin, and let the Jun culture 3 to 5 days, or until it smells pleasantly sour and faintly sweet.
- Carefully remove the Jun SCOBY and set it on a plate. Stir the remaining Jun tea, and reserve ½ cup tea for your next batch. Prepare a fresh batch of Jun right away or store the SCOBY and reserved tea in a jar up at room temperature up to 1 week or in the fridge for longer.
- After reserving the SCOBY and ½ cup tea, stir the Jun once more, and then pour it into 4 pint-sized flip-top bottles. Let them culture at room temperature 2 to 3 days, then enjoy immediately or transfer to the fridge where they’ll keep up to 3 months.
Flavoring Jun Tea. If you wish to flavor your tea, mix in ½ cup fruit juice or herbs to your finished Jun, then bottle and continue culturing in the bottle 2 to 3 days before transferring to the fridge.